For Yellow belts, it is important they know the basics. People learn at different rates and so we recommend students practice at home what they have learnt in class. We recommend the student film themselves on a camcorder (from a phone) to see if they are getting it right. We ask parents of young students to help here.
- Good discipline and well behaved
- Willingness to improve
- Practices stretching and other exercises at homes
- Knows how to line up properly in class
- Can do 20 press-up properly
- Knows and performs all basic stances properly
- Can demonstrate all different types of kicks and strikes properly
- Can perform all basic and blocks including the start positions properly.
- Knows basic self-defence.
YELLOW BELT 8th KUP GRADING – 3 months
- Sitting Stance Double front punch
- Front rising kick / leg rising exercise (apcha olligi)
- 20 Press ups (Knuckles for male adults and flat hands for others)
- Middle Obverse punch in walking stance
- Low AND Rising block in walking stance
- Knife hand guarding block (Sonkal Daebi Magki)
- Twin Forehand Block (Sang Palmok makgi)
- Turning Kick – and Side kick – should be able to kick above the belt level and hold it for 3 seconds
- Dan Gun (+ previous)
- 3 Step Sparring (Sambo Matsoki) No.3
- Self defence – Release from double wrist grab + previous
- Dan-Gun (21 movements) – DAN-GUN is named after the holy Dan-Gun, the legendary founder of Korea in the year of 2,333 B.C.
- Yellow – Signifies the earth from which a plant sprouts and takes root as the foundation of Taekwondo is being laid.
- Green – Signifies the plant’s growth as Taekwondo skills begin to develop.