The NLTKD encourages students to attend tournaments. Tournaments are useful in introducing students to dealing with adversity. A student asked how a tournament who help him in real life. I said that if he is afraid to compete in a tournament with referees and safety equipment, then he will probably crap himself in a real self-defence situation. Tournaments will help you a little bit to deal with the adrenaline surge, nerves and reality of “fighting” a stranger. However I must admit nothing can prepare you against a mugger with an AK47 or Desert Eagle, just saying.
It also encourages students to learn to strive to be competitive and be the best they can be. These are life skills needed in a the highly competitive professional real world. At the last GTI tournament in Cheltenham, the following student got
- N. Henryanto – Bronze Sparring
- C. Henryanto – Gold Sparring and Gold patterns
- V. Vasiura – Bronze sparring and Bronze patterns
- C. Craig-Mellentin – Bronze sparring
- N. Kunchii – fought well but was unsuccessful.
- A. Kunchii – silver sparring
- J. Dlask- Gold Sparring and Gold patterns
- A. Bejenariu – Bronze Sparring
- R. Grigaliunaite– silver sparring
- M. Tapper – Gold patterns and Bronze Sparring
Lots more photos on the GTI Facebook page
Like the Global Taekwondo International (GTI) page to keep updated on news and events.